Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Wild Pitch?

Editor and I have finally finished a solid pitch for Alaska on the Go: Exploring the 49th State With Children. Bundled up with more care than a baby, it's ready to travel with me on June 8 to Homer and the Kachemak Bay Writer's Conference, my first-ever formal gathering of writing people. I have an appointment with an agent, with hope that someone will publish my book.

The manuscript itself is coming along. I'm halfway through - after tonight's completion of the cruising section. Next up is Fairbanks and Denali National Park, put on hold while I finished the cruisers.

I spent last weekend in Fairbanks, meeting with the Fairbanks Convention and Visitors Bureau and wandering the city and surrounding area, sans child and spouse. Amazing how much ground I can cover this way. But I missed my traveling partners.

Responses from travel industry professionals has been overwhelming, in a positive way. Rarely a day goes by that someone reaches out and expresses their happiness that someone from Alaska is writing a book about visiting the state with kids. I'm happy about that, but even happier to discover their support for the project. I feel incredibly validated that I am doing the right thing, even though some days, it feels so stressful.


No comments:

Post a Comment