Friday, February 15, 2013

Get 'er done




Learning how to write a book has almost become more important than actually typing the words. 

I've discovered the value of adding "writing" to a large chunk of my smartphone's calendar, every single day. No meetings, no coffee dates, just "writing." 

Writing, of course, means powering through a solid hour of wordsmithing and critical thinking, then taking a break, usually involving wood chopping, dog-running, or baking. Baking is an excellent respite from writing, I have found. Or, at least, a peace offering to the family for which I have forgotten to provide clean laundry. At any rate, the hour on-hour off system seems comfortable enough. 

The edit process is a fascinatinating journey through my own psyche. Am I really up to this? What if I change things around and it's not the same book, anymore? Oh no, that great idea I had at 4 a.m. - I can't remember what it was! 

I'm aware of every word I add or delete, every descriptive sentence I carefully script, where it goes.  I know about every restaurant, every hotel, every attraction, and I can't help but think I owe future readers more than just a listing of places to go and things to do. 

A careful, thoughtful, process. 







2 comments:

  1. I just read these last two posts and discovered you have finished your book. Good for you! I am excited for you, and look forward to reading the finished product! I am also so curious as to how things going with your oldest son home in Alaska. I have tried to connect with you by Facebook but I am only able to be a follower, not a friend, so I'm assuming you don't have a clue that I'm there. Hope all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marge! I was just perusing your blog the other day, hoping to find you as well! Send me a friend request, I'll be all over it. We've had some struggles, recently. Big ones.

      Delete