Saturday, July 21, 2012

Grand Plans

When someone asks me why it's taking so long to finish Alaska On the Go, I retort by inquiring if they've managed to visit every kid-friendly destination in the 49th state. Alaska has more coastline than most of the Lower 48, is twice the size of Texas (sorry, pardners), and features activities ranging from placid to perfectly crazy, and everything in between. And I'm just one mama.

Not used to writing more than 600-1,000 words for one project, the notion of writing 6,000-8,000 words per section feels uncomfortable. Daunting, in fact. Frustrating, even, on occasion. We visit one place, gather our information, talk to wonderful people, learn tons about history, culture, and/or recreation, and then those people talk to their people, who subsequently call me to refer additional people, and a whole new idea is formed.

This could take a while.

Last week I had a desert moment, wondering if there was any way I could finish this thing before the glaciers completely recede. In between cups of coffee and an incredibly non-structured summer schedule for my family, I swung between wild enthusiasm and ever-darkening clouds of trepidation. Could I possibly put together a guide all by myself? Is this project even worth it?

On Thursday, my youngest son and I drove north to Denali National Park. An impulsive move on my part, I needed information and couldn't quite place geography together with activity, given that my last true exploration of DNP was 15 years ago.

The sun came out, the bugs were few, and the hiking, spectacular. As I watched my seven year-old search for ground squirrels and scramble up rocky slopes, I was glad we were here. I was glad, too, for this book, for the time it gives me with a fast-growing young boy who, all-too-soon, will be a young man.

1 comment:

  1. It is exciting! The wait just increases the anticipation!

    ReplyDelete