Sunday, July 29, 2012

In My Own Little World....

Both husband and son were away this week at their respective destinations. Hubs was visiting older son in Denver, CO, and younger son was immersed in the wilds of cub scout camp. Which meant, friends, I had an entire house to myself. 

Late nights, lots of coffee, endless dog jogs, and my favorite music went a long way toward four solid days of writing bliss. I understand with complete clarity why many famous writers became somewhat reclusive. When one reaches the halfway point of a book, just when things are flowing along and word counts are positively flying from the fingers, a distraction comes along and stomps on the muse. For better or worse, it does. 

Not all distractions are negative; heck, the incredible weather of last week jockeyed for position with my desire to finish the Denali National Park section. I usually don't mind, but the ability to cancel out the background noise without having to leave my own cozy office was an incredible gift this week, especially when I'm due to meet with the potential publisher on Thursday. 

We leave on Friday morning for a week exploring the inner coves of southeast Alaska, from Ketchikan to Juneau and everywhere in between. I look forward to more opportunities for fingers to keyboard without the added distraction of internet and phone service. Perhaps we'll finish this thing on time, if the planets keep aligning as they have. 


No comments:

Post a Comment